1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Titans Of Mavericks Contest In Jeopardy

Discussion in 'Our Side Of The Hill' started by skygizmo, Nov 14, 2016.

1. skygizmo

skygizmo Administrator Staff Member

November 14, 2016

HALF MOON BAY, California -- Per the results provided in response to a California Public Records Act Request, it has been discovered that the owner of the Mavericks Surf Contest, Cartel Managment, has yet to apply for a San Mateo County Parks Special Event Permit.

In a letter provided by Chief Deputy County Counsel David Silberman, Parks Director Marlene Finley informed Cartel Management that due to problems recouping the cost of providing Park Employees for Event Security, all future Event Permits would have to be applied for 90 days prior to the day of the Surf Contest. The letter is dated May 3, 2016.

In the email that accompanied the partial results of the PRA, Mr Silberman states, "I understand that Cartel Management has not yet applied for a special event permit from the Parks Department for the next Mavericks." Simple math indicates that even if Cartel Management were to submit their Event Permit application today, the soonest the approval could be given would be the middle of February, leaving just 43 days of “contest window.”

It appears that County Parks had trouble obtaining reimbursement from Cartel for the costs incurred providing Park Personal to manage the event. The letter discloses that the total cost to County Parks for the February 12, 2016 contest came to $13,852.23. County Parks offered to charge for only overtime costs which reduced the bill to $9072.13. Cartel Management countered with an offer to make two $3000.00 payments. Even though $6000.00 was less than half of the cost to County taxpayers, the Parks Department agreed to accept the offer.

Mr. Silberman also discloses that Cartel Management has yet to pay the San Mateo County Sheriff's Department for the cost of providing event security, 'The Sheriff’s Office invoiced Cartel Management on June 7th for $7,924.08 and inquired subsequently about payment, but has not yet been paid."

Here is a video of what provoked the PRA request: -- Supervisor Carole Groom at the November 2, 2016 California Coastal Commission Hearing On Extending Permit.

The full contents of the email sent by Mr. Silberman are as follows;

Mr. Ullom,

I have inquired about (and identified) documents that are responsive to your request. I have not finished gathering them all up yet, but based on what I have done, it appears there are probably between $1 and $2 worth (at ten cents per page) (basically invoices and emails inquiring about payment of invoices). If you want them, I can finish gathering (I would just need about 24 hours) and give you a final count, but I thought I might be able to save you time and money by telling you what I learned.

1.Both the Sheriff’s Office and Park Department did invoice Cartel Management for costs related to Mavericks.

2.Parks invoiced $6000 (you can see from the attached letter that this was an agreed upon amount). And, Cartel Management paid the $6000.

3.The Sheriff’s Office invoiced Cartel Management on June 7th for $ 7,924.08 and inquired subsequently about payment, but has not yet been paid.

The only document I could identify that relates to your item 4 is the attached letter. I understand that Cartel Management has not yet applied for a special event permit from the Parks Department for the next Mavericks.

Please let me know what you want to do next (if anything).

David A. Silberman
    Chief Deputy County Counsel
    San Mateo County Counsel's Office

Attached Files: